High Sierra AT656 22 Inch - Carry On Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps

High Sierra Carry On Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps Black AT656-0I was about to travel overseas to Amsterdam which is known for steep steps and cobblestone streets. I only wanted to bring one bag, and liked the Rick Steves idea of going with only one carryon (although I cheated and also brought a messenger bag just in case).

I love this suitcase for many reasons.

PROS:

It's exactly carry-on size for most airlines, but only if it's lightly packed. Thus, I put a lot of stuff for the trip to Europe in my messenger bag so that the suitcase would stay 9" deep.

If you end up buying lots of souvenirs like I did on your trip, the bag actually expands in depth from 9" to 14". Of course, you'll probably have to check your bag in on the way back, but there will probably be no checked bag fee (for international travel, that is).

The suitcase straps are convenient if you need them. I personally never did, but I can see a situation where I don't really want to drag the bag.

-It has a duffel-like strap over the top (when it's lying flat). You can't really use it for carrying, but it's nice to help heft a full bag onto your luggage rack for unpacking using just one hand.

You can use the adjustable side buckles to compress the bag a little more when it's packed, so that stuff moves around less and the bag takes up just a bit less space

CONS:

As is typical, the collapsing bar you use to drag the bag takes up a lot of space in the interior.

Once full, the suitcase is pretty heavy on your back. It doesn't look like the materials use any of the super-fancy lightweight structural stuff like carbon fiber, but that's why you're saving money on luggage. :)

The grey and red version, which I bought, doesn't stand out like crazy on the conveyor belt, so you really gotta hunt for it for a flight coming off a 747 after you've gone through customs.

It's not a "spinner" four-wheeled suitcase. I'm still coveting one of those.

All in all, I recommend this suitcase especially if you're traveling somewhere that you'll be coming home with more stuff than you left.

Preface: I purchased 3 bags. This one, the 26-inch version and the 32-inch version.

This bag in particular is generally my carry-on. I fly exclusively on Delta and on larger jets, it fits exactly as its supposed to in the overhead bin, wheels in, top out. On midsized regional planes, it fits sideways. I have not yet flown with it on the small regional jets, but I expect to have to "pink tag" it and drop/retrieve it at the gate.

NOTE: The above statement assumes that you keep the expansion CLOSED, not open. If you open the expansion, be prepared to check it (and pay for it) on most aircraft. I pack this bag relatively light so the top pocket can be kind of "squished" in, for lack of a better term. I can get a 2-3 day trip out of this bag.

As far as the series AT-6 luggage in general, some reviewers have knocked it because its not a spinner type (4 independent wheels), and I'm not sure why, its pretty obvious its not. If that's what you're looking for, all I can tell you is that this luggage isn't what you're looking for.

All roll aboard luggage with the retractable handle like this takes up space inside and this bag is also no exception. There is a thin piece of material between the compartment and the telescope path which is flexible, so you could probably cram a few extra pairs of socks in if you plan ahead.

I have taken these bags on numerous trips since purchase and they're holding up very well, checked and as carry-on. I've not had any broken contents (knock on wood) in any case, nor have any parts or straps been torn or broken (knock on wood).

The built-in ID card holder is a really nice feature, protected from the elements and is attached by a piece of elastic so it can't simply fall out and be lost (spreading your personal information all over the airport). I don't use the backpack straps much, but on the 22-inch bag, they're comfortable. I find the other larger ones too heavy to wear like that comfortably.

The only way I could suggest High Sierra make this series better (again, I'm not letting it detract from my rating because it is clear it doesn't have this feature) is to add a "daisy-chain" strap for easier towing of more than one piece. This problem is easily corrected with a simple, economical product: Travelon Multi-Bag Stacker

Buy High Sierra AT656 22 Inch - Carry On Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps Now

I purchased this case, specifically for a two week trip to Europe, in which I would be flying and carrying this on as well as taking trains throughout Europe. I thought I would use the straps but I did not and that was okay, they were there if I needed them. If you are careful in your packing (I used a ruler)and do not extend the case or overpack, this fits nicely into overhead compartments on an airplane. We were on three different planes before we arrived in Luxembourg and this case did nicely. This case is a really good size for traveling by train as well, as the overhead storage is significantly smaller on trains. When it was fully packed I had to keep it in the seat with me a couple of times.

The extended handle felt a little flimsy at times, but it never gave out. I had two different people on my trip lose there wheels on their suitcases. We were literally schlepping from train station to hotel on cobblestone roads for as far as two miles, in five different cities. This little case did wonderful. As the trip progressed I had plenty of room to pack souveniers. My room mate was amazed at everything I could pack in this case. I had it completely full for our trip back, in which it was checked luggage. It never toppled over or became difficult to manage throughout the airport. This was a great little suitcase. My only feedback would be improvements to security. It does not have a locking mechanism on it and the zipper pulls were not really designed to attach a lock or keep a lock as they were parachute cording. I was able to secure it using cable ties. Just carry extra in case you have to open your case for customs.

Read Best Reviews of High Sierra AT656 22 Inch - Carry On Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps Here

I love this bag!

It has a zippered lining running through the middle of the bag so you have an upper and lower shelf, or you can unzip it and it roles and bungees out of the way for one large compartment. The pocket sizes are just right the one in front runs almost to the bottom of the bag and is shaped so it's not incredibly tight; I can easily fit my arm down in, and the mesh pocket inside also feels oddly roomy.

This bag feels durable. The material, stitching, zippers, clips, handle and wheels all feel sturdy and meant to last with reasonable use.

The backpack straps fold away perfectly. Instead of having to scrunch them into a pocket, the back panel unzips away from the bag and folds over backward to become a protection pad to keep the wheels from getting your sides dirty.

I bought the green bag and really love the color. I'm not quite sure what to call it it's brighter than a forest, maybe "fern"? it's distinctive, but not obnoxious. Very pretty.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the clips on the sides was that they are perfect to help with overpacking problems if you can't get the zipper shut, just let the straps out all the way, clip them, and yank them to tighten everything, then zip.

The strap across the front, in combination with the clips on the side, make it easy to clip together and lift if you need to move the bag quickly while unpacking, but without a lot of fuss.

The 2" expansion ability is a plus, and the zipper is specially labeled so it's easy to find. Nice touch.

FYI, the strap on the front is all one piece, it doesn't separate into two handles. I don't care, but apparently in Europe it's very fashionable for a couple to share the duffel-carrying duties by each taking a strap. That wouldn't be possible with this bag.

Overall I love this bag. I'm a photographer and always in search of the perfect camera bag, but this duffel has finally ended my search for the perfect luggage. I've used it just a couple times now, but I really can't think of anything I've found that I wish I could change. Thumbs up all around.

Want High Sierra AT656 22 Inch - Carry On Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps Discount?

This bag has been with me on a number of trips now, including a 2-week tour through military bases in Afghanistan. I've used it as a carry on and as checked bag. It has already been subjected to a true beating and it has come through extremely well. This is a product well worth the money.

Save 64% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment