Gregory Z35 Backpack

Gregory Z35 Backpack, Currant Red, MediumThis is my fifth Gregory pack, but one of my least favorite. I bought the Z35 to replace my 1992 Mountainsmith Bugaboo. That pack cost $235 when adjusted for inflation, and has been repurposed as a canyoneering pack. Thanks to the wonders of globalization and the outsourcing of labor and materials, the Z35 was half the cost. I've found it to be a relatively decent enough pack, but have (as always) some nitpicks that knock a few stars off my rating.

One issue is the curved nature of the pack bag. I recognize this is an inherent issue with any pack that creates an air space between your back and the load, but it is still an annoyance to load and unload. I didn't take a star off for this, as that's a relatively acceptable trade off for a cooler back.

My second complaint is the access zipper on the front that allows you to get to the upper portion of the pack bag. This has limited utility, as it's only slightly more convenient than simply going in from the top of the bag. Of course, a lower zipper would be preferable, but with the front stuff pocket, that's not going to happen.

Now, my two significant issues...

THE HIP BELT BUCKLE IS NOT USER-REPLACEABLE! When your hip buckle breaks (and it will at some point most likely at the most inopportune time), you cannot simply slide another one on. The buckle is sewn into place on both sides to facilitate the "ergo-pull" tightening system (you know, pulling straps towards your center, rather than away). I suppose it could be repaired in field if you bring a VERY heavy-duty needle and thread and some sort of stitching ripper, but expect your repair time to be measured in hours rather than seconds. This drawback isn't unique, my Osprey Kestrel 48 has the same problem, but it isn't unavoidable either, as my Gregory Palisade demonstrates.

Secondly, any sort of spine flexion will push the cross-bar of the "CrossFlo DTS" suspension into your lower back, particularly when the pack is loaded. This isn't painful, but isn't very comfortable either. Keeping your back straight and only bending at the hips will help somewhat, but it the weight of your load and gravity will conspire to push that damnable "X" into you.

So, in summary; the Z35 is an acceptable, but not great, pack for heavy dayhikes or light overnighters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment